WOW now supports webcams, which you can connect it to your site to display the images and timelapse videos. Webcams are shown as a separate tab on your site dashboard, users can see your webcam images going back in time day by day to see how it looked like at that time.
They can also click Timelapse to view images as a timelapse video to see the difference easily.
Viewing your webcams
To view your webcams, you can follow the steps below:
- Login to your account.
- Click "My Sites" from the top menu.
- Choose the appropriate site from the "Select your site" dropdown list if you have multiple.
- Go to Webcams tab. You can see all of your webcams displayed here.
Creating or editing a webcam properties
To create a new webcam or edit an existing one's properties:
- Go to the Webcams tab on your site's dashboard. (Follow steps on Viewing your webcams section)
- Click "Edit Webcams". This page shows you the list of webcams of this site that you can manage.
- To create a new webcam, click Create New. To edit one, click Edit button on the proper row.
- If this webcam is in a different location than the site, you can adjust it here.
- Enter the name of the webcam. This is shown to public, so it should be descriptive enough.
- Enter the update frequency in minutes. Minimum is 15 minutes.
- If webcam's feed is accesible via an HTTP url, choose HTTP and please enter it here. WOW supports JPG, JPEG, GIF, PNG as file formats.
If webcam's feed is accesible via a FTP url, choose FTP.
If you host webcam's FTP server on your own or if you know FTP server's credentials, please select "I want to use my own FTP server". Then enter as follows:
- Url: The root url of the FTP server. Example: "ftp.wow.metoffice.gov.uk".
- Ftp Folder: The folder that webcam pushes the data. Example: "webcams/xyz/images".
- Username: FTP server's username. Leave empty if anonymous.
- Password: FTP server's password. Leave empty if anonymous.
If you wish to use WOW's own FTP server, please select "I want to use WOW FTP server". Then enter as follows:
- Username: Please enter a username for your FTP server credentials. Required.
- Password: Please enter a password for your FTP server credentials. Required.
- If you host webcam's FTP server on your own or if you know FTP server's credentials, please select "I want to use my own FTP server". Then enter as follows:
If your webcam doesn't support direct internet connection, you can use TinCam to push data to an HTTP or an FTP server. It requires a computer with webcam attached to it and it needs to run always.
- Connect your webcam to your computer. If it requires drivers, please follow your manufacturer's instructions.
- Download TinCam from http://www.tincam.com/ and install it on the computer.
- Open TinCam and choose your webcam.
- Click Setup, then Setup.
- Under Auto Capture, please select your trigger method. Suggested trigger is Timer with 15 minute interval.
Under Website, select FTP. Enter your FTP server credentials here. If you selected "I want to use WOW FTP server", please enter as follows:
- FTP Server: Enter the FTP server URL that WOW gave you.
- Port: 21
- Username: Enter the username you set when creating this webcam on WOW.
- Password: Enter the password you set when creating this webcam on WOW.
- Timeout: 60 seconds.