Submitting an Image
There are several situations when an image can be added to WOW. These are:
- When submitting an observation An image can be attached to the observation in the "Add a photo..." section. Click on the "Browse..." button and select the image you want to upload from your files. The link to the image should then appear in the field next to the "Browse..." button. An image "tag" list will then appear - select all those tags that apply to your image. Once the rest of the observation details have been entered, click on "Submit" to generate the observation complete with the selected image.
- During a particular weather event, such as snow The observation and image should be submitted as an observation (see point 1 above).
- When creating a new site On the "Create New Site" screen you can upload images of your observation site in the "Site Location Images" section. Click on the "Browse..." button for the appropriate direction (North, South, East, or West) and select the image you want to upload from your files. The link to the image should then appear in the field next to the "Browse..." button. Once you have entered the rest of the site details click on the "Create Site" button to generate your site with the associated images.
- By modifying an existing site To add an image to an existing site go to the "Sites" tab, select the site you want to add an image to (by clicking on the "edit" link), then on the "Edit Site Details" screen you can upload images of your observation site in the "Site Location Images" section. Click on the "Browse..." button for the appropriate direction (North, South, East, or West) and select the image you want to upload from your files. The link to the image should then appear in the field next to the "Browse..." button. Once you have entered any other details you want to update, click the "Save Changes" button to update your site with the associated images.
Reviewing an Image
Images can be reviewed in several places on the website. These are:
- On an individual observation on the map If an image has been uploaded as part of an observation then the image will appear in the popup box that appears when you click on an individual observation icon on the map.
- On the "View Observation" page If an image has been uploaded as part of the last observation reported at a particular site then the image will be displayed on the "View Observation" page associated with that site.
- On the "Photos" Layer on the map Select the "Photos" layer and then underneath the main map select the time period that you are interested in. If an image has been uploaded as part of an observation during that selected time period then a camera icon will be displayed on the map. Clicking on the icon will display the summary observation popup and the associated image. Please note that if more than one image has been uploaded at a site or location, in the selected time period, then only the last image (and associated observation details) will be displayed.
- In the "Photo Gallery" view All images uploaded to WOW will appear in the "Photo Gallery" view, unless the image has been reported. The default view on the Gallery is to see the "Most Recent" images associated with an observation, uploaded over the "Last Week". This criterion can be changed by clicking on the "View photo filters" button and amending the options in the drop down selection lists.
- In the "Site Details" view If the owner of the site has uploaded any site location images then these can be viewed by going to the "Site details" view. The images will be visible in the "Site Location Images" section of the screen.
Viewing other images from a particular site
If more than one image has been uploaded from a particular site then when an image is selected in the "Photo Gallery" view, in the image popup window a "More from this site" link appears at the bottom of the window. Click on this link to review other images from this site.
Voting for an Image
If you are logged in then you will be able to vote for an image that you like by clicking on the image. This will display a popup window in which the image is displayed. Click on the 'Like this image' link in the bottom left hand corner of the popup window.
On a regular basis, the photo that has received the most votes throughout the preceding period will be made the site background image
Reporting an Image
If you think an image is inappropriate for WOW then please report it to a Moderator by clicking on the "Report this image" link next to the item in question.
Please note that images can only be reported by someone who is logged in.
The image will then be forwarded to a Moderator for review. The image will be removed from the "Photos" map layer and the "Photo Gallery" (if it appeared there). Additionally, an "Image awaiting moderation" placeholder will appear in other views, until such times as the Moderator has either restored or deleted the image.